November 19, 2008

i am in luvvie!

I came across the most amazing forum--The Fedora Lounge--a bunch of guys and dolls sitting around talking shop about vintage! ::swoon::

One of the dolls, Marzipan, has a blog called My 50's Year. She's living a whole year in the 1950's, which means that aside from several absolutely essential modern technologies, she's not doing/using/buying anything that wasn't around post-1950. She turned me onto this site (a British television site, or telly!) which is running a series called Time Warped Wives. It's amazing! It's about four women who for one reason or another chose to go back in time and start become vintage housewives! I'm so jealous because I wish I could just pick up and do it all right now. But like any good career, I know it takes time and effort to get yourself to that place.

This post of hers reminded me of another article I had seen about modern day ladies going back to simpler days of housewifery, and I remember when I first saw it, I went, "::gasp:: It's like they're reading my mind!" Here's a clip from the article, but really when you can, be sure to read the whole thing because it truly makes you stop and think about how far from "the home" women have become.

"Her alarm clock chimes before the sun rises. She's not only up and at 'em, she's dressed to the nines in heels and a full face, wearing perfume. Her apron is starched and matches her outfit, and breakfast is on the table. Her husband and children come to the table dressed and pressed: they've been raised that way, and she's done the ironing. ... I know, it all sounds so nice, so perfect. Well, it is nice. Maybe it isn't perfect for everyone, but for a few of us, it's heaven. We were born too late. We live in that fabulous era of the mid-20th Century, when we'd just won The War and the whole country was overflowing with optimism about things to come. Good had triumphed over Evil, just as it should, and all was right with the world. The guys in White Hats would keep on winning and we'd all be safe from those guys in the Black Hats. It was as simple as that. The Golden Rule and the Ten Commandments. Baseball, hot dogs, and apple pie. What could be more wholesome?"

::dreamy sigh:: In other news... ah! The hunt is over! Look what Hubby bought me for an early Christmas gift:



It's so beautiful. The setting itself is vintage from about the 1930's (estate sale via eBay) and the center stone is my grandmother's. I wish the camera could capture its radiance because I could stare (and have been) at it all day long, just watching it twinkle in the lights. It's so much more lovely than I ever could have hoped for.

Also, after spending an hour lugging boxes to a fro in the freezing biting wind, I picked up this gorgeous wool jacket from eBay for a steal ($20!).



When we showed up at our friends' house to pick up the truck they were letting us borrow for hauling the couch out of storage, he took one look at my vintage inspired pants, black shirt with matching cardigan, and high heeled Mary Jane's and said, "Only you would wear that to move in." What, is there a rule against looking pretty? Oh, which will bring us full circle--ladies, when you dress up in the least bit, aren't people usually asking you "what the occasion is?" Isn't it sad that our men have been so starved for a real woman that when they see one, they act as though she's off her rocker? Oh girls, what have we let ourselves become?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I love comments and I read each and every one of them. You can also contact me by e-mail if you want to chat!

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it."
~ Author Unknown

In other words: Be nice or I will delete you!