March 22, 2009

take two

"Make it very clear to the Philadelphia florist. Tasteful. All white. The Casablanca lilies, calla lilies... I don't want any crap!"

If you had to ask me who my fashion icon is, I would tell you Charlotte York. She has this gorgeous ability to take modern clothes and make them look deliciously vintage; she also has a way of taking vintage clothes and giving them a fresh new styling. But the most important thing about Charlotte: she buys quality clothes.

Most of them come from high quality designers--and let's face it, those are usually the ones that last! I had a friend who used to buy her swimsuits from Wal-Mart every summer. She'd go through about six of them. One day she commented on the one I was wearing (one I'd bought four summers before from Victoria's Secret). When I told her this she exclaimed in disbelief, "It looks brand new!" I then launched into the importance of spending a little extra money for quality items rather than spending $80 on Wal-Mart bathing suits. I knew it finally set in when I saw her at last year's Marine Corps ball wearing Dolce & Gabbana. {{happy tear}}

Now of course, I can't afford designer all the time (hel-lo, military budget). But I think I'm going to start saving all my little pennies, dimes, and quarters so that when I do need a new outfit (note the use of the word need, not want) I'll be able to afford something of quality that will still fit into my vintage-style wardrobe, but will also serve its purpose should the time come when I'm more... "Park Avenue-chique." ;0)

One such outfit I'm crushing on right now, from Nordstrom's. At $118, it's not exactly something I can buy on a whim, but I absolutely love it. Too bad they don't sell it on etsy or eBay!

2 comments:

  1. I know you don't want to sew, but I am telling you that skirt would be SO easy to make and it would probably cost under 10 dollars. The top, too, would not be too hard to make and the bit of 'ruffle' could be done with sew on lace. They sell such ruffles pre-made by the yard. I am just saying, and you KNOW it is well made if you take the time to make it WELL. You could even line the skirt with some dreamy brial silk or somthing that would feel heavenly on and still spend MUCH less than the Nortdstrams price. ANd I totally agree with the walmart comment not to mention that every time you buy at walmart you encourage their buying from china and its ill treated children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna (50s Gal),
    You just won't quit 'till you convert me, will you? ;0) The picture is actually a dress, which is why I like it so much. But you're right, I really do need to start thinking about sewing. I guess the next step is to find a good sewing machine that won't cost me an arm and a leg! Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I love comments and I read each and every one of them. You can also contact me by e-mail if you want to chat!

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it."
~ Author Unknown

In other words: Be nice or I will delete you!