August 27, 2009

the lost art of letter writing

I mentioned that I had a new project I was working on. But before I go into that, let me preface it with a bit of background.

My best friend and I have known each other since eighth grade. We've gone through all those painful steps in life together. Bad haircuts, being chubby, ditching classes, dating the wrong men, finding the right men, the trials and tribulations of military life--everything you can think of, we've been through together. Our friendship has had its highs and lows, but to this day, she still knows me better than most anyone (I think Jason may have the lead on her, just a wee bit).

When we were living in North Carolina, I started using my days off to call her (I had Wednesdays off). It's been over a year now and our weekly phone calls have become an absolute routine! We may miss one here and there (because, yes, life gets in the way) but for the most part, we have four hour phone calls once a week.


(Stephanie and I at Disneyland in April of this year--the first time we'd seen each other in almost 4 years!)

So, when I decided that I wanted to resurrect the lost art of letter writing, I couldn't think of anyone other than Stephanie to share that with! I purchased some gorgeous cream colored linen paper and matching envelops from Paper and More ($10 for 100 sheets of paper, $9 for 50 envelopes), and wrote my first letter yesterday.

What. A. Mess.

My penmanship is so terrible; I can't believe I once won an award for my writing style! My cursive is all loopy and messy--not to mention I've forgotten how to even form half the letters! My r's look like n's, my e's look like l's... it's just a mess (seriously, Steph, good luck deciphering this first one). I've been waiting to buy a nice calligraphy pen with interchangeable nibs, but I'm thinking I won't wait too much longer. And some downloading of cursive worksheets is in order!


(Don't be fooled by the photo editing--my lines are crooked, and the letters are not pretty!)

At least the (back of the) outside looked nice.



I treated myself to some faux wax seals (until I can afford the real deal) in my favorite color, complete with a Celtic design in the center. I really love the way it finishes off the envelope.



Okay...I'm off to work on my bad handwriting...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I love comments and I read each and every one of them. You can also contact me by e-mail if you want to chat!

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it."
~ Author Unknown

In other words: Be nice or I will delete you!